The kitchen is one of the most dangerous rooms in the house and potentially a haven for accidents, fires, food poisoning and infestation. The key to preventing them is organisation, planning and plain common sense. Ensure there is enough space for you to walk around, the areas around heat sources are safe, the kitchen is clean, food is properly stored and pests cannot get in.
Below are some top tips on how to keep safe in the kitchen.
Make sure all wires and electrics are tucked in or pushed to the back of the appliance to prevent tripping or falling over wires.
When cooking make sure saucepan handles are not hanging over the side of the hob.
Clean up all spills immediately.
Store knives in a wooden block or drawer.
Always use a stool on an even surface when reaching down objects from high shelves … Read More »
Here are ten top tips for keeping your kitchen ‘child friendly’. Some people opt to keep kitchens child free but this is not always practical. Anyway, without further ado;
1. Put childproof locks on all cupboards, cabinets and ovens, so little hands cannot access them.
2. Keep matches lighters and naked flames out of reach or in a safe place.
3. Never leave hot saucepans unattended when cooking food.
4. Make sure all toys are cleared off the kitchen floor before cooking.
5. Install a gate to prevent young children from coming in the kitchen while you are cooking.
6. Store cleaning fluids in a high cupboard out of the reach of children.
7. Check for sharp edges and if necessary install protective guards
8. Keep all knives away from children
9. Keep strong spices away from children
10. Dispose of plastic bags by tying a knot in … Read More »
Warning: getimagesize() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/thornesinteriors/public_html/wp-content/themes/pixelpusher2000/functions/image_resize.php on line 118
Warning: basename() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/thornesinteriors/public_html/wp-content/themes/pixelpusher2000/functions/image_resize.php on line 119
It is the jewel in the crown of the perfect kitchen and arguably the most important appliance of all – the humble cooker. There are many things that you need to consider before buying a new one. Below is a guide to choosing your perfect cooker.
1. Power Supply
Firstly decide how you want your cooker to be powered: – electricity or gas. There are several advantages and disadvantages to both. Decide what type of cooking you will be mainly using the appliance for and which power source best suits you and your home.
5 Things to consider when deciding which type of power supply you require
Would you need to install a gas supply to your home in order to run the cooker?
Do you have children or pets, who would be vulnerable to naked flames?
Would you use the hobs or the oven more … Read More »